7.01.2017

My guest designer write-up from the Frilly and Funkie Blog

Cec, from Frilly and Funkie, gave me the write-up to use as a post - thanks so much! 💙

And a big thank you for all the well wishes & thoughts regarding my father-in-law. He's now at a rehab facility so we're hoping for more improvement!


Hello everyone ~ I'm really excited to be a guest designer for Frilly & Funkie this month & was really honored to win the Sound of Music challenge! I love anything grungy, vintage, shabby, steampunk, and out of the ordinary. I like experimenting & sometimes my mistakes turn out to be something amazing! I'm by no means a professional - I just putter in my messy craft room & create what makes me happy!

Since the challenge this month is With This Ring, I decided to do a decor piece that's a little shabby/grungy in the spirit of love.


I had this box frame/lid in my stash (Approx 6x6 - I think it had another box inside it at one time - I keep everything!) and cut a piece of cardboard to fit the open square in the back snuggly (no gluing 😜). I then painted it with a few coats of white gesso, not really worrying about brush strokes or perfect coverage.


I had some white Mulberry paper so I tore it into various sizes and laid it in different areas on top of the wet gesso. I wanted to see what kind of texture would come out of it in the end when I started dribbling paint. I then used a Prima damask stencil with white crackle paste in various places - again, no perfection here!



Then it was time for the messy stuff! I dribbled some Dylusions black spray & then spritzed with water to let it run, turning it various directions, dabbing some off here & there, leaving some areas white. Using a baby wipe to dab here & there gave it a gray cast with some purple undertones - it melded the gesso together with the black. So I went with it!


I wanted to use a heart somewhere and didn't have one - so I cut one out of cardboard, covered it with crackle paste, and doused it in fine glitter. I also dribbled on some glass glitter & distressed it when dry. Then it was time to layer my embellishments & tie it all together!


I used some cheesecloth, a resin flourish, some black & white damask tissue paper, and some pearls on wire. I printed out a vintage couple & attached it to the heart. I also had a roll of amazing metal trim (from Etsy) that I cut to fit as an interesting vertical border. A love quote was printed & glued onto a piece of cardboard to give it height. A splash of silver micro beads & a highlight of silver rub 'n buff around the edges & my motley creation was complete!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey - Tell me something good!