9.05.2017

Fearless

There's an interesting challenge going on at the More Than Words blog: Fearless & Grunge. Create a layout, canvas, or journal page using the word as inspiration & grunge it up!


My inspiration for this challenge is the woman in this photo: my mother. 


This was taken in the 60s & it's so fabulous. The photo was all color but I wanted to focus on that blue bathing suit so I converted it to B&W with just the blue suit for color. 

The reason I chose this for the 'fearless' portion is 2-fold: 1) she's rocking that bathing suit & I'd never pose in one and 2) she now has Alzheimer's. But she is fearless - she's happy & laughing even though she can't talk. She's battling & everyone that meets her & sees her is better for it. ๐Ÿ’™

I started with a canvas and started with a cross stencil, focusing on the blue color. 


I then moved on to stenciling with some crackle paste, even around the outer edge. 


After that, it was play time with sprays & stamps & embellishments (oh my!). And here's the end result! 



Splotches of Mercury Glass glaze from Tattered Angels, Tibetan Poppy Teal spray from Lindy's Gang, some smudged black pencil outlining, and lightly touched random stamping pulled it all together. 





It's got height and texture and grunge and fibers....it's off-balance and imperfect. 




Win or lose with this challenge, I've got a piece of my family that I can incorporate into my decor. After all, blood is thicker than paint. 







10 comments:

  1. Oh I love this! What an amazing creation about an amazing woman! Thanks for joining us at More Than Words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Heather! She's sitting on my staircase!

      Delete
  2. Oh how precious! This is a winner in my eyes! Wonderful homage to your mom! Thank you for playing along with us at More Than Words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow !! Love the beautiful project with beautiful photo !! Thank you for playing along with us at More Than Words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the kind words, Torsa! ๐Ÿ’™

      Delete
  4. So beautiful and precious project Cathy! Amazing! Thank you so much for joining us at More Than Words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary - it is very precious to me!

      Delete
  5. This is awesome!! I love that you scrapped you mom in such a great way! Love your take on grunge! All the best rom MTW :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for looking - I appreciate it! ๐Ÿ’œ

      Delete

Hey - Tell me something good!