10.09.2017

How Poe-etic is this?

Halloween is just around the corner & with that comes creepy challenges that conjure up visions of haunted houses, moaning & groanings, and twisted tales of doom. And that's what's going on at Relics & Artifacts .  The twist is that you choose one of two creepy chosen book exerpts as your inspiration: The Tell-Tale Heart or The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Poe is my author of choice & my all-time favorite macabre author:

**************************************************************************
“Presently, I heard a slight groan, and I knew it was the groan of mortal terror. It was not a groan of pain or of grief--oh no!--it was the low stifled sound that arises from the bottom of the soul when overcharged with awe. I knew the sound well. Many a night, just at midnight, when all the world slept, it has welled up from my own bosom, deepening, with its dreadful echo, the terrors that distracted me.”

**************************************************************************

This project also fits in with the Books Worth Reading #ccbchallenge at Canvas Corp, the Altered Eclectics October challenge, & the Halloween Challenge at Dream in Darkness!

I had this copy of Selected Poetry and Prose of Poe and set about transforming it. 


I started by finding my passage which - how lucky am I - was at the top of a page. So I cut through some pages on the opposite side in which to house my heart from the Rising Spirit IV collection, leaving it ragged & uneven. 


I then picked a face from the RA Troubadour set and noticed a similarity to Poe. 


I set about doing an image transfer of Poe onto the face. 


While that was drying, I started transforming my cover, adding texture with cheesecloth, art stones, string, & burlap. I put a strip of metal trim on the spine & added a creepy tree. Then I painted everything black. 


Since I used the heart from the Rising Spirit IV collection inside, I used the flaming top on the outside.


From there, it was a matter of adding waxes, adhering my RA pieces, and distressing. I also added a Tim Holtz lantern to darken the mood... (feel free to click the pics for bigger versions!) 





Some pics of the cover... 





I think Poe came out awesome. I didn't want it perfect, just vintage and run-down looking. 




Now for the inside....I highlighted the chosen passage by outlining it, smudging the black down. Then I added an embossed creepy tree & painted a bird black from the Mythos collection - because, you know: The Raven 😜 




The other side has crackle & rust and creepy drippings - murder is a messy busy, my friends! And don't forget the main event: the Tell-Tale Heart (as a side note, you'll notice the mention of a lantern in the text above the heart & to the left of the lantern 😉) 




I distressed the edges with inks and a lighter. I also concealed my lantern cord by gluing down the back pages with just the plug sticking down. 



So there we have it! My murderous makeover of the Poet of Macabre is complete. Enjoy a couple more pics & thanks for looking! 









"All works of art should begin...at the end" ~ Edgar Allan Poe 






4 comments:

  1. Fantastic work and portrayal!!!! Thank you for playing in the Relics & Artifacts #RALiteraryHauntings challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great projec Cathy! Love it! Thank you for joining us at Canvas Corp Brands Challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Hey - Tell me something good!